Samosas are Probably India's Most Famous Vegetarian Treat!
Samosas are one of the Indian Foods. They are basically a little fried pie stuffed with veggies, and of course the are cooked with Indian spices. This recipe makes approximately 20 Vegetarian Samosas
If any of the ingredients are unfamiliar to you, it's because they are probably unique to Indian grocery stores. Some of the spices can be difficult to find in non-Indian grocery stores. But don't worry, Indian grocery stores are usually quite easy to locate, and you probably have one near you!
To prepare, here are the ingredients that you will need:
5x large tortillas (Mexican white or wheat tortillas work great, or you can make your own from scratch)
1/2 cup of all purpose white, or wheat flour, your choice
2x 1 lb bags of frozen vegetables, we recommend a carrot, pea and green bean mixture, DEFROST BEFORE COOKING!
3x smaller sized potatoes, or one great big one CUT THEM INTO SMALL CUBES!
5x cups of vegetable or canola oil for frying
2x teaspoons of mustard seeds
2x teaspoons of red-pepper masala
2 1/2x teaspoons of dhanajiru
1 teaspoon of tumeric
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 teaspoon of asafortida powder
Lastly, one additional 3/4 of vegetable or conola oil.
Now, lets get started!
Step 1. Heat 3/4 cup of oil in a medium to large pan on your stove.
2. Drop in mustard seeds
3. Wait for mustard seeds to pop (Literally, they will begin to pop)
4.Now, drop in the asafortida powder
5. Drop in potatoes and defrosted mixed veggie bags
6. Stir in the tumeric, salt, garam masala, red pepper masala and dhanajiru spices as you cook these veggies together, be sure to stir this mixture well
7. Now let this cool
8. Next, cut your tortillas into four even sections
9. Stir a small amount of flour and water in a bowl until it becomes sticky
10. Take your spiced veggie mixture from earlier and place a little bit into the center of each tortilla piece
11. Now fold each tortilla piece into a little triangle, which completely contains the vegetable mixture in its center Note: You should be able to determine how mixture properly fills the tortilla piece. Do not use too little, but be sure the tortilla can be folded to contain the mixture completely
12. Use the sticky flour/water paste to seal the folded tortilla
13. Fry in a large pan containing the 5 cups of canola or vegetable oil until golden brown
14. Serve with sweet Tamarind-Date Chutney and Mango Pulp