Dal Makhani, a flavourful robust lentil preparation, is a celebrated delicacy from Punjab. Rajma and whole urad provide protein and calcium which are extremely important for maintenance of your body cells and healthy bones. Cooking the dal in tomato purée adds a little sharpness to this dish and also enriches it with folic acid and vitamin A.
Try this dal with Methi Makai ki Roti, to make a satisfying low fat meal.
Cooking Time : 20 to 25 mins.
Preparation Time : 15 mins.
½ cup whole urad (whole black lentils)
1 tablespoon rajma (kidney beans)
1 cup low fat milk
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ cup onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 teaspoon chilli powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
3/4 cup fresh tomato pulp (Tips: You will require 4 medium tomatoes to make 1½ cups fresh tomato pulp)
1 teaspoon oil
salt to taste
For the garnish
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
1. Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight. Drain and keep aside.
2. Combine the dals, and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook till the dals are overcooked. Whisk well till the dal is almost mashed.
3. Add the milk and 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
4. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions turn golden brown.
5. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and tomato pulp with ¼ cup of water and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Add this to the dal mixture and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes till the dal is thick and creamy.
7. Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.
Comments for Dal Makhani
Click here to add your own comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Tasty Indian Food Recipes .